The word “Cancer” is said to have come from a Greek word “karkinos” referring to a crab, which was used to describe carcinoma tumors by the Greek physician Hippocrates (460–370 B.C), but he was not the first to discover this dreadful disease. Some of the earliest evidence of human bone cancer, Osteosarcoma, was found in mummies in ancient Egypt and in ancient manuscripts dating about 1600 B.C. Ayurvedic texts offer the oldest description of Cancer and it’s treatment, dating back more than 5000 years, by classifying it as “Karkata Arbuda” – a tumor like formation that grows like a scorpion. Other tumors are classified by other Sanskrit terms such as “Granthi,” “Arbuda,” and “Gandamala”. These often refer to abscesses or smaller benign tumors occurring in specific regions of the body.
What is Cancer?
Cancer is the abnormal, fast-spreading replication of cells. Normal cells have a regular lifecycle. Each cell has a specific life cycle, after which it dies, and a new, healthy cell is formed. Cancer cells disrupt this cycle by growing exponentially, crowding normal cells and causing large tumors wherever they grow. They then spread from organ to organ, deforming the normal cells in that organ. When cancer cells spread to other organs, those new formations of tumors are called Metastasis (meh-TAS-tuh-sis).
Not all tumors may be cancerous however. If they are not found to be cancerous, they are referred to as Benign and with Ayurveda, are much easier to treat.
Causes of Cancer
- According to Ayurveda, Cancer occurs in the body when all three Doshas are out of balance, making it a Tridoshic disease. Furthermore, it is caused by the buildup of toxin, known as Ama, which is accumulated over years of improper diet and regimen, which having been deposited in each cell, causes it to malfunction.
- Excessive consumption of junk food
- Fried foods, preserved foods – such as canned or boxed meals, frozen dinners
- Uncooked or half-cooked, raw foods – especially meat
- Foods prepared in an unsanitary manner in restaurants, such as the reuse of oil more than 2 times
- Foods that have been exposed to harmful pesticides
- Improper food combinations, example – sweet and salty, hot and cold, mixing old food with new fresh food etc
- GMO foods
- Smoking, Vaping, Hookah
- Drug Consumption
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of exercise
- Overexertion of the body, mind and senses
- Exposure to electronic gadgets, such as cellphones, Bluetooth receptors, computers, video-gaming equipment, and even WIFI signals.
- Hormonal treatments
Signs & Symptoms of Cancer
It is important to recognize that the symptoms mentioned before can denote any illness, and may not necessarily mean that you have Cancer. It is advisable to consult with an Ayurvedic Physician if you are experiencing more than one of these symptoms chronically.
- Chronic cough
- Heaviness in the chest
- Difficult in breathing
- Changes in skin texture – moles, spots, lumps and bumps
- Changes in breast – moles, lumps, discoloration in the skin
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Frequent bloating
- Pain in the abdomen
- Swelling in any part of the body
- Change in bowel movements / urination – Blood/pus in the stool or urine
- Sudden changes in Menstruation – heavy, painful periods
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge
- Unexplained weight loss
- Chronic heartburn
- Chronic weakness and fatigue
- Constant back pain
- Changes in appearance of nails, eyes, hair, tongue, teeth
- Abdominal pain
- Depression and mood swings
- Frequent fevers and infections
Treatment of Cancer using Ayurveda
Ayurveda uses the principles of restoring balance to the body by returning the Doshas to their proper state of homeostasis and repairing the damaged tissues. As a result of the build up of toxic material in each cell, the first step of treatment is Shodhana or Purification. The srotas (channels) are cleansed with specific Ayurvedic herbs which draw out the ama (toxin) and throws it out of the body through the excretory system.
Once the body is thoroughly cleansed, the process of Rasayana Chikitsa (Rejuvenation therapy) is then started. This is done to rebuild the body again, and improve the Immune system to fight off any infection.
The following Ayurvedic herbs are just some of those frequently used to treat Cancer :
- Kanchanar Guggulu
- Chandraprabha vati
Another unconventional, yet traditional ayurvedic treatment for Cancer is drinking Cow Urine. In India, cows are regarded as sacred animals, mainly because of the extraordinary products they provide us with, such as milk. The urine of the Indian cow is used specifically to treat all types of Cancer. It is rich in nutrients as well as alkaline in nature.
For more information about the use of Cow Urine in the treatment of Cancer, contact Dr. Sashina here
Another scientifically proven element of Cancer treatment is the inclusion of Vitamin B17 in your diet. Vitamin B17, known as Amygdalin, terminates cancerous cells as well as, safeguards the body from the onset, development and spread of cancer in the future.
Other treatment modalities incorporated in healing from Cancer, include daily Yoga and Pranayama exercises.
The following specific Pranayama exercises should be done everyday before sunrise and on an empty stomach.
- Nadi Shodhana
- Kapalabhati Pranayama
- Bhastrika Pranayama
The greatest Cancer therapy practiced in Ayurveda, is Panchakarma – this is a long, but highly beneficial cleansing process of the body. It is advised that one should do a complete Panchakarma therapy atleast once every year to rid the body of ama, and maintain good health.
Please be advised that Panchakarma must ONLY be done under the guidance of an Ayurvedic Physician. If this cleansing is not done properly, the residual toxic matter left in the body will cause immense illness and further harm.