Aum Shri Maha Ganeshaya Namah.
Purna Chandra Grahan (First Total Lunar Eclipse for 2018) – 31st January 2018
Planet Moon (Chandra) will be in the Rasi of Karka (Cancer) during this time period, eclipsed by transiting Planet Rahu.
This Grahan will have have a very significant influence in the lives of human beings, since in Jyotish we understand that the planets are celestial energies that cast their rays on human beings in a negative or positive way.
As per Vedic Scriptures, the period of Grahan (Eclipse), whether it is Surya or Lunar Grahan brings inauspicious effects. However this is a period of time where one can perform specific Mantra chanting and meditation. The ancient Maharishis have given such direction for the Aatma (individual soul). Mantra chanting and meditation helps in protecting, enhancing and preparing the Jivatma for spiritual upliftment towards Moksha, which is the the most important Goal that we take multiple rebirths to accomplish.
The Historical birth of the Rahu and Ketu
During the period of the churning of the ocean, there was a war between the Asuras (Demons) and Devtas (Gods) for the mighty immortal giving Amrit (Divine Nectar). Lord Vishnu disguised himself as Mohini and served the Amrit to the Devtas. One of the Asuras called Swarbanu also disguised himself, and joined the Devtas to receive some of the nectar, which he did. The Sun (Surya) and the Moon (Chandra) saw this happening and reported this treacherous act to Lord Vishnu, who slayed the Asura’s head with the Sudarshan chakra. The body now became two (the body and the head) and because the Asura drank some of the nectar, this slayed body and head still became immortal. Some time later, Lord Vishnu gave them the status of planets and they became part of the Planetary Kingdom. The head of the Asura became Rahu and the headless body became Ketu. Rahu and Ketu also became vicious enemies of the Sun and Moon. Wherever Rahu or Ketu are placed or linked with the Sun or Moon in the birth chart, it is considered inauspicious.
With that being said, whenever the Sun and Moon align with Rahu, it swallows the Sun and Moon and causes a Grahan (Eclipse). The Lunar eclipse occurs when the Sun, Moon and Earth are on a straight line, whereby the Moon passes through the shadow of the Earth. This means that the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon. This is occurring in Poornima (Full Moon). The Moon will be bright red in color at this time and is known as Blood Moon.
Occurrence and Duration of the Eclipse on January 31st 2018
The Grahan will be visible in Asia, The Indian Ocean, The Pacific, Most parts of the United States, North- Eastern Region of Europe, Russia, Australia, North- East Africa, Arctic, Antarctica. The total Lunar Eclipse will begin on 31st January 2018 at 5:53 pm, maximum effect at 5:59 pm and ends at 9:38 pm IST. Please adjust the times as to your location in the world.
So what is best to do during the Grahan (Eclipse)?
- It is the best time to do charity. Donation of food and clothes, money, social services, medicines to the poor and the needy. Specific food items to donate are oil, jaggery sweets, cooked food. This act will.help you overcome any malefic afflictions in your horoscope.
- Make an effort to consume vegetarian food on this day if possible
- Do not consume alcohol on this day.
- Consume food (freshly cooked food or food that has been properly covered and protected) only after the Grahan is over.
- Place a leaf of Tulsi over the cooked food before the start of the Eclipse.
- Avoid cooking, eating or bathing during the the time of the Eclipse.
- Chant the Shiva Mantra of Gayatri Mantra 108 x during this period to ward off any ill effects of the Grahan.
- Avoid sexual activity on this day.
- If possible do not travel and stay indoors at this time.
- Recite the Hanuman Chalisa.
- Avoid all auspicious work or events on this day.
- Avoid starting a new business or venture on this day.
- Avoid touching or worshipping the prayer idols/statues at home or at the Mandir during this time.
- Avoid using sharp knives or scissors at this time.
High Risk precaution specifically for Pregnant Women on this day.
- Avoid coming out in the open, having exposure to the Eclipse.
- Avoid looking at the Grahan (Eclipse)
- Stay indoors and avoid travelling and sleeping.
- Avoid wearing clips in the hair or saree. If not possible, keep them loosely applied during the time of the Eclipse, do not tighten them.
- Avoid cutting vegetables or fruit during this time.
- Avoid delivery of the baby on this day or time as much as possible.
- Chant the Gayatri Mantra, Gopala Stotra, Aditya Hridayam or one can listen to it also.
- Specific and Common Mantras and holy verse to chant during the Grahan.
- Gayatra Mantra and Aditya Hridayam.
- Om Namah Shivayeh
- Mahamrityunjay Mantra
- Hanuman Chalisa
- The Santana Gopala Mantra for pregnant women.
This Grahan may give adverse results to people dealing with business of crops, forest products, water and milk etc. However it can promise good rainfall.
Referenced from Saptarishis.
Written by Renuka Ramnunan (Vedic Astrologer) for the purpose of Astrological guidance. For a full Vedic Astrology Reading, click here.